Thursday, December 4, 2008

Telnet: Connecting to the good ole days'

Whilst telnet was not a new experience for me, it has been a long time since ive looked into command line services on the internet. Installing telnet was not a problem, as I used the telnet client built into osX.

I find the telnet experience seems more "real" somehow. When I connect with a telnet server, and I can "see" the login process evolve on the screen, I feel as if i have made a "real" connection with a computer "somewhere" else.

When I visualise what is happening on the screen, I imagine that theoretically, if i followed the cable into the wall, eventually the cable would come out on the other side of the world at the server. Oddly, being connected via a wireless connection does not seem to effect this sense.

Modern interfaces, such as the ubiquitous web browser platform, do not create the same sense of connection for me. Perhaps it is the hidden nature of the http process, however, whilst I might be interacting with a server on a greater number of levels, and exercising a larger amount of control over a server, I feel like a window shopper, where as telnet makes me feel like a customer.

1 comment:

  1. And this was the net experience in the early days. the geeks loved it. not for me though. keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete